Thomas Juell has been a guide for Risør Church for many years and will spend two weeks this June to help visitors who want to learn more about the church's history.
The Church of the Holy Spirit, also known as Risør Church, was built from timber in 1647 with a cruciform plan. Above the main entrance on the western side is a tower, terminated with specially designed lanterns and a spire.
The timber structure was clad both externally and internally and was painted during the 1720s. Around the building are thick, profiled Baroque rails. The roof is covered with glazed blue tiles.
The windows were originally leaded, but were enlarged in 1740 and replaced with three rails with a pilaster-shaped centre pillar. Next to the tower are several sandstone slabs dating from 1652 and 1670, which were previously located inside the church. The painting behind the altar depicts The Last Supper and is believed to have been painted by a pupil of Ruben.
The frame around the painting was carved by sculptor Christopher Ridder in Christiania, who also carved the pulpit. This work dates from before 1674.
Thomas Juell has been a guide for Risør Church for many years and will spend two weeks this June to help visitors who want to learn more about the church’s history. Contact him on firstname.lastname@example.org.