Ny-Hellesund is an outport in Kristiansand municipality. The village area is located on a cluster of three main islands south of the main harbour at Høllen in Søgne.
The islands of Ny-Hellesund formed an outport because they all have good harbors and approach conditions. The three islands are Monsøya, Helgøya, and Kapelløya.
Ny-Hellesund has 21 permanent residents (in 2015), but in the summer there are many more temporary residents who live in holiday cottages, guest houses, and boathouses. There is considerable boat traffic through the main channel between the three islands: Hellesundet (Helle Strait).
In addition, a large number of boaters utilize the fine harbor conditions in the large, sheltered area between the islands of Helgøya and Kapelløya.
Ny-Hellesund was from the 18th century known for its pilot station, customs station, guesthouses and fisheries. Ny-Hellesund can be regarded as one of the best preserved outports in the region. The ongoing preservation of the cultural environment here began in 2009.
Many Norwegian painters such as Johan Martin Nielssen and Amaldus Nielsen have portrayed Ny-Hellesund over the years.
Olavsund (Olav Strait) is the strait that runs between Kapelløya and Helgøya in the central part of Ny-Hellesund. According to legend, it was formed when Saint Olav struck with his sword against the mountain on the run from pursuers.
Today you can see the monograms of several members of the Norwegian royal family who have visited Ny-Hellesund.
During World War II, the German occupying military forces built a coastal fort on Helgøya. Work began in 1942 and included Russian prisoners of war in the work. The purpose of the facility was to protect coastal traffic and the west entrance to Kristiansand.
The fort was originally called "Norway's little Gibraltar." The fort had a workforce of 150. It was armed with four 10.5-centimetre (4.1 in) coastal artillery guns had a range of approximately 12 kilometres (7.5 mi). To protect the fort, there were machine guns, mortars, and flame throwers. Furthermore, the fort was equipped with radar, searchlights, and smoke systems. All together there were 31 buildings there along with 26 bulletproof stone bunkers in the area.
The fort was abandoned in 1945 and many of the buildings were demolished and equipment and facilities were removed in an attempt to erase its memory over the following 30–40 years. In 1987, however, restoration work was begun. Several of the 10.5-centimetre (4.1 in) M/13 Schneider guns are back in place. Fortification, trenches, roads, and tunnels in the area is secured and repaired, so the area is easily accessible.